256k x 4 Re: finding old RAM

From: Teo Zenios <teoz_at_neo.rr.com>
Date: Sun Mar 28 07:09:28 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Duell" <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
To: <cctalk_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: 256k x 4 Re: finding old RAM

> > > Desoldering ram chips is more effort then its worth.
>
> That depends on the RAM chips, how rare they are, and how much you need
> them.
>

> > The old days of recovering tons of 64kx1 or 256Kx1 chips that way are
> > long gone, though.
>
> Why? Because you can't find boards full of them any more, or because such
> boards are actually useful complete (this certainly applies to some
> Unibux memory boards, S100 boards, PERQ memory boards, etc). Or because
> you can't find a use for 4164s or 41256s? (I certainly can!)
>
> -tony
>

>From what I have seen boards of the vintage that would have the chips I am
looking for (256kx4) are either in somebody's parts bin (which is why I
asked here) already or have been scrapped a while ago. Most of these chips
haven't been used since the early 90's making them at least 10 years old.

Some other oddball chips I am looking for are 256kx8 VRAM 70ns SOJ for my
old matrox vlb card (most boards use higher density vram chips).

TZ