electronics workbench

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon Mar 29 22:15:46 2004

> Interesting. That sounds not unlike my bench. It's a sensible height

You lucky thing. I was saying what I would like my bench to be like, not
what it actually is like...

> for sitting (decide whether you want a chair, a stool, or whatever).
> It has steel support legs angled in such a way as to support the front
> of the bench (I can stand on it without qualms) yet not to get in the
> way of my knees, and still be mostly vertical. Apart from that, it's
> wooden, and has a mat in the centre so that things don't get scratched.
> There's a row of 13A power sockets along the back wall in an almost
> unbroken line (and half a dozen network/structured wiring RJ45

Well, I guess if your machines are modern enough to have RJ45 connectors
for ethernet, etc....

> sockets). A couple of them are European Schuko sockets. Some of the

If possible, have a good isolating transformer. Almost essential if you
work on SMPSUs. Also think about having both 110 and 220V outlets -- the
ability to plug in just anything from either side of the Pond, at least
for testing is very useful.

> for test leads, video cables, etc. Amongst the things that live
> permanently on the bench top are my soldering iron, and a small vice.

My iron is normally on my bench, but I do move it around for work on
minicomputers, etc As an aside here, if you're in the UK and work on DEC
machines, make up adapter cables for 13A mains plug to US 234V socket and
US 234V plug to 13A mains socket so you can (a) plug a DEC unit in on
your bench for testing and (b) can run your soldering iron, 'scope, etc
off the power distribution unit at the back of your DEC rack.

Although I don't do much heavy metalwork on my electronics bench, I agree
a small vice is very useful. For pressing on iDC connectors, holding
things when soldering, etc. Chasing a DIN plug around the benchtop with a
hot soldering iron is not my idea of fun!

-tony