electronics workbench

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Mon Mar 29 19:32:00 2004

On Mar 29, 23:45, Tony Duell wrote:

> The next thing is that you need to consider how much your test gear
is
> used at the workbench rather than elsewhere. If you work on
minicomputers
> and your main item of test gear is a LogicDart, then you take the
> instrument to the machine. If you work on ZX81s using a Tektronix 555
> 'scope, then you bring the machien to the instrument. This will
determine
> if you need to make a permanent home for it at the bench or not.
>
> Think what instruments you need. One that many people forget, but
which
> I'd include if I was setting up a workbench for microcomputer repairs
is
> a video monitor (to cover all the standards you're likely to need).
> Possibly on one of those pivoting arms. A serial terminal on the
bench
> can be very useful too (or you can use an HP95LX or something if
you're
> pressed for space).
>

> You can never have too many power points.

Interesting. That sounds not unlike my bench. It's a sensible height
for sitting (decide whether you want a chair, a stool, or whatever).
 It has steel support legs angled in such a way as to support the front
of the bench (I can stand on it without qualms) yet not to get in the
way of my knees, and still be mostly vertical. Apart from that, it's
wooden, and has a mat in the centre so that things don't get scratched.
 There's a row of 13A power sockets along the back wall in an almost
unbroken line (and half a dozen network/structured wiring RJ45
sockets). A couple of them are European Schuko sockets. Some of the
sockets are on one breaker, some on another (one set has an RCD, one
doesn't). There are a few more mounted under the front edge of the
bench. There's a scope on a wall-mount swivel base, a monitor, DVM,
and Avo 8 on the bench at one side and an SGI Indy on the other side.
 The other things like PSUs, signal generator, etc are at the back or
on a shelf. There's a striplight-type desklamp to one side, in front
of a wall of components drawers, and next to that are a load of hooks
for test leads, video cables, etc. Amongst the things that live
permanently on the bench top are my soldering iron, and a small vice.
 Some of the things used for testing live on a trolley nearby, along
with a BBC Micro, and the scope can be moved to the trolley if
necesary. There's another trolley with a toolbox also nearby.

It isn't actually very big (as Jules and one or two other listmembers
can testify), in fact it's quite small. Crowded, even.

I'll reiterate the last line I preserved from Tony's post. You can
never have too many power points. Or RJ45s.

--
Peter Turnbull
<postmaster_at_dunnington.u-net.com>