Vernon Buerg "List" clone for "C"

From: der Mouse <mouse_at_Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
Date: Wed Mar 31 01:05:03 2004

> Pardon my ignorance, but is anyone aware of a clone for Vernon
> Buerg's LIST program that will run on the various Unix flavors?

Assuming you're talking about the program http://www.buerg.com/list.htm
describes...well, it's very thoroughly counter to the Unix philosphy of
"each program does just one thing and does it well". At a minimum, it
would have to include the equivalent of - or be prepared to fork and
process output from - tip/chat ("dialer"), tar/pax/cpio/ar/etc (the
various archive features), lpr/lprng/etc (printing), grep/egrep/etc
(searching), find (directory tree walking), hexdump (looking at things
in hex), and possibly others (for example, I don't know what "network
compatible" is supposed to mean).

This probably could be done, but it would be a pretty horrible mess.

> It would be awfully handy on my shell account!

Perhaps. You probably would be better off, in the long run, learning
to use the full power of the existing tools, though; you'll be able to
do things with them that LIST cannot do[%], the skill gained will be
fairly directly portable to other Unix systems (as opposed to having to
install the LIST-alike), and you will learn a good deal about the
underlying OS in the process.

/~\ The ASCII der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X Against HTML mouse_at_rodents.montreal.qc.ca
/ \ Email! 7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39 4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

[%] At least based on the advertised list of features.