Old square 4-prong wall phone connectors

From: Eric Smith <eric_at_brouhaha.com>
Date: Thu Feb 10 15:47:53 2005

Ashley wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can find some of the old square 4-prong wall
> phone connectors / plugs, both the male and female pieces?

Doesn't Radio Shack sell them any longer? [checking web site...] Wow,
maybe they don't!

DEC used these for 20 mA current loop interfaces on DECsystem-10s.
They called it a "283B" connector. I don't know if that was just
a DEC designation, or if TPC [*] called it that.

But wait! Google to the rescue! (As usual.)
They seem to have both the sockets (404B-50) and plug (283B-50). So
that seems to answer my question about the TPC designation.

SE-404B also found here, along with SE-19B faceplate and SE-44 bracket for
Searching for "283B" on that site turns up a surface mounted 404B
jack for $5.28, and a 283B plug for $5.97.


[*] The Phone Company, back when there really was such a thing, rather
than the pathetic amateur phone companies we have now. Sure, they might
have plotted to replace the president with a robot, but at least they made
good reliable phones.
Received on Thu Feb 10 2005 - 15:47:53 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:37:37 BST