CRT mold

From: Jules Richardson <>
Date: Sat Feb 12 16:36:38 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 14:00 -0800, Vintage Computer Festival wrote:
> Jules,
> Those monitors are suffering from a fungus or mold (are they the same?)
> that is literally feeding off the laminate adhesive. One of the folks
> here (I forget who it was) fixed a monitor with this problem by using a
> heated wire to remove the protective outer laminate and replace it (or I
> think he might've just left it that way) in order to "restore" the
> monitor. He forced the wire between the CRT face and the protective outer
> laminate to cut it off like a saw.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if there are any chemicals that'd either kill
off the mould (if the CRT was left to soak in a bucket of them) or
destroy the glue in order to remove the outer layer (so it could be re-
glued) - all without totally destroying the tube completely.

Probably not - the heated wire trick sounds difficult on anything but
the flattest tubes though :(

At least the tubes aren't dead in the case of our HP stuff though, which
is good news :) (an HP 250 with a mouldy screen is way better than no
250 at all)

Funny how - apart from a couple of other screens out of maybe 300 - I've
only seen it really affect the HP stuff.

> Bottom line: pain in the ass. No known us at least.

Well certainly with car windscreens there's no cure that I know of
except for a new screen, but then that's a much bigger and more complex
piece of glass...


Received on Sat Feb 12 2005 - 16:36:38 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:37:37 BST