Where does the software go?

From: Larry Anderson & Diane Hare <foxnhare_at_goldrush.com>
Date: Sun Mar 16 22:43:20 1997

BigLouS_at_aol.com wrote:

> I have always wondered what happens to the software that was used on the
> computers that show up at thrift stores. I understand that someone who is
> just upgrading from a 8088 to a pentium will keep his software but what about
> Atari's, Applle II's and Commodore 64's? Why keep the software if you are
> getting rid of the hardware? Can anybody explain this to me? This came to
> mind again because I just picked up a C64 at a thrift shop with a 1541 and a
> BusLogic card (??) but there was nary a disk or cartridge.
>
> BTW, can anybody tell me where I can get a boot disk for the C64?:-)
>
> Lou

  I think sometimes the disks get relabeled and reused on the owner's
new machines. It also may depend on the thrift store, disk software
and program manuals may mean nothing to a thrift store employee,
sometimes I've seen a batch of disks in a package in one part of the
store, manuals for them in another and the computer components and
cables priced seprate in other locations. Sometimes I only see hardware
and no software (they may just toss the disks).

  I'm getting pretty good at Thrift shopping, if I see one piece of
equipment or peripheral that remotely relates to my collection, I will
scour the store. Example: I see a PET computer or drive or printer -
first a quick check for computers, drives, printers, then IEEE-488
cables and interfaces, PET books, disks, and very important - don't
forget datasette tapes (One day I'll find the mother lode of Cursor
Magazine tapes!) Don't forget the ribbons, some of those printer
ribbons are hard to find - or expensive as heck.

  I have a good idea of what I have and am looking for, I know the ports
and video standards of my machines and pretty well what stuff is/was
available for them.

  Be prepared!

  The 64 never needed a boot disk. Though there was the 1541 test/demo
usually packed with the drive. And then later on the 64 did have a
'new' disk based OS, GEOS.

  My wife another collector of things (other then computers) also is an
advocate to act as ignorant as you can when buying a real find, If you
see an MITS Altair, don't go and snatch it up and rush for the register,
pick it up and look at it scratch your head, wander around a bit
carrying it (check out the other computers or whatever against it), and
don't act as if is the 'holy grail' of your collection that it really
is. (this is VERYimportant at flea markets where prices aren't on the
stuff.)
   Another idea is to say something like 'what is it?' or 'can I hook
this up to my 386?', 'can it run Lotus?' 'can this get me on the
information-highway?' to prove that you know little about computers and
also hopefully devalue it when he/she says 'no' or 'I don't know' (this
may backfire if they think you are a real rube and try to play on your
ignorance.) Make a real-low offer and say you'll take your chances. If
they are somewhat sales-savvy you may have haggle up to a still low
price. :-)

          Larry Anderson