Let people know about collectors

From: Larry Anderson & Diane Hare <foxnhare_at_goldrush.com>
Date: Thu Mar 20 23:01:10 1997

William Donzelli wrote:

> My opinion: keep the hunting rather low-key. The classic computers are
> still out there to be found; it just takes legwork. Going public can, and
> probably will, backfire.
>
> William Donzelli
> william_at_ans.net

   I agree, there are alot of lazy people out there trying to make a
fast buck, if they even had the hint of possible cash from their VIC-20
they would be banging on your door demanding you pay them $300 for the
thing. Take for instance, baseball cards, you know those thin pieces of
cheap to decent quality CARDBOARD, or dolls, or old toys, etc. Just be
glad no one has compiled a list or a sellers/buyers guide my friends!

  The post about the Altair skyrocketing is probably due to the hype
generated by Steve Levy's Hackers as well as the media about the Altair
being 'the first home computer', I've notiuced a bunch of ya-hoos on the
internet looking for their bit of computer history (which they never
experienced till they got their IBM clone and they probably well be
dissapointed to learn that they can't even run Lotus on it.)

  I get computers mainly because I ran a Commodore Group and am the
area's contact for Commodore information, so people come up and ask me,
'hey you got any use for a ???' I usually say no, I collect them but am
too broke to buy em; they ususually give em to me, (thanks mainly to my
assistance I had provided in years past). Also thrift shops and used
bookstores, some bookstores will toss the older computer books (after
being burned by all those punched-card machine texts floding them years
back), so make sure you let them know you appreciate them having the
older micro books.

          Larry Anderson