Computer Listing

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_northernway.net>
Date: Sat Mar 22 10:06:26 1997

At 05:54 PM 3/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
> Uncommon - the less popular machines of an era. Usually
> have to hunt around, but persistence pays off.
> Color computers, Coleco Adams and what not
> fall into this catagory (IMHO).
>
> Common - Fairly easy to find. Apple ][s, Amigas would be
> here (again IMHO).

Ummm... my intention here is not to flame, but Tandy Color Computers are
*much* more abundant than you realize, mainly because (and I've learned
this thru observation and personal experience) that one usually notices the
most what one owns or has owned.

<TANGENT>

Dumb kid: "What the heck kinda car is that... it looks funny."
Grandpa: "Son, that's a '47 Pontiac (or Mercury, or... insert personal
favorite here) with a xxx V-8 engine & bla, bla, bla. I used to have one of
those in my heyday, when I was a ..........."

[[a week passes, same car]]

Dumb kid: "What the heck kinda car is that... it looks funny....."

</TANGENT>

My point is there was an immense production of the Color Computer (there
must... I own 3 myself) and in my little town of 14,000, I can name people
who still own and use them, but the last Amiga I saw in this town was
almost 10 years ago. Mind you, I'm not saying they're not around... I'm
saying I don't see/take note of them, because I prefer Color Computers...

You have a good suggestion, but I think that instead of just an arbitrary
listing of who notices what or what might never be seen in a particular
region (Amigas in Sault Ste. Marie, Color Computers in the Ukraine, ad
nauseum...) that it should be based on actual production statistics when
available.

I can give you one bit of information: The Tandy Color Computer line was in
production longer than any other 8-bit (and some 16-bit) home computer.

Anywho, that's my $0.00000002 (that's all it's worth), FWIW, which ain't much.

Thanks for the bandwidth,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

Roger Merchberger | Everyone complained to me to change my .sig,
Programmer, NorthernWay | but no-one could recommend something better.
zmerch_at_northernway.net | So you'll have to put up with this *junk*