More 34

From: Philip.Belben_at_powertech.co.uk <(Philip.Belben_at_powertech.co.uk)>
Date: Tue Mar 3 10:41:15 1998

> [S/34 3-Phase?]
> Naah, can't be. It doesn't have a 3-phase plug. It's a slightly smaller
> version of the round Hubbel plug (3 pins. 3-phase needs 4, right?) on my
> PDP-11 power boxes. Mine has power in the room still, I can power it up, but

You can do three phase on only three wires - most long distance power
lines are done that way - but that would be unearthed, and therefore not
recommended. If it is a 190/208V version rather than a 220/240V version
it is probably expecting two of the three phases plus ground.

> nobody knows a userid/password to IPL it...
> Is there some way around that?

Dunno. Passwords are only 4 letters IIRC so shouldn't be that difficult
to crack if you've got a terminal emulator card in a PC. I'm afraid a
quick glance through the pocket reference hasn't revealed anything
useful :-(

Philip.