Helios II disk drive - Sol-20

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Wed Mar 4 08:44:06 1998

<
< I've got the Sol-20 up where I can see the monitor prompt '>' but
< there is garbage on the screen which I have yet been able to get rid
< of and attempts to load off a cpm diskette (that came with this
< package) have failed thus far.

Before you mess with CPM and disks get the SOL running! The screen of
garbage is either a broken VDM-1 (video card) or the CPU is out to lunch
do to a memory problem or other system fault.

Pull the disk controller out and get to the minimum system and trouble
shoot from there.

Also the Native os for the northstar controller is NS*dos not cp/m it
is possible that the version of cpm can be configured for the NS*
controller but not the terminal IO used in the SOL so it would boot
and do nothing.

FYI: the most commonly replaced part is the CPU as it's is always
     socketed. The least often failed part is the CPU!

If I were nearby I'd offer to help.

Allison