Fw: A possible (future) classic.

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Wed Mar 4 08:44:15 1998

<I could see a use for that... By making a NanoPC (?) small enough, I cou
<a console for my uVAX 2000 that I could tape (or something?) to the top o
<machine - Then I'd truly have a portable VAX!
<Maybe if I do go make creative use of batteries... Ehehe... VAX LUGGABL
<(That'd be fun for the trips to Indy! They could be driving away, and I
<hack VAX in the backseat..)
<-------

Seems the hard way to go. Try this.

Remove the RD5x and replace with two 3.5" mfm drives. Install one scsi
drive (for more space). remove power supply replace with one that
provides +12/-12/+5 from a 12vdc source. Use a laptop for terminal.

An alternate to replacing the power supply is use 12vdc to 120ac(240w)
power converter.

An alternate replacement for the PC (somewhat retro too) is to find one of
the various terminal boards sold in the early to mid 80s, add a keyboard
and a 12v monitor, tada a terminal. Most of those boards were
small (5x9" or smaller).

If your are running an OS that can use the vs2k console... use lk201 and
a small monochrome monitor that can hack the scan rates.

most of the 3100 series is in the same power needs class and could easily
be put on the road as well.

Also the qbus vaxen could be hacked for mobile use (there was a version of
the ba213/4 box that used DC power!).

Vax on the roll. Your would not be the first, the YACHT America
(Americas cup racing) back around 88 or so had a vax on board!

Allison