Datanumerics DL8A is here! Have a peek _at_ ...

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
Date: Fri Mar 6 08:32:59 1998

At 11:24 PM 3/5/98 +0000, you wrote:

>> So, firstly I ask if anyone with a 1702 programmer who would be prepared to
>
>I'd rather not do this, not because I don't want to help you, but because
>I'd be a little worried about sending 4 irreplaceable eraseable chips
>through the post. I would hope somebody Stateside could help you.

  Trouble is, he's in Australia not in the US. The ROMs are going to have
to be shipped unless someone in Au has a 1702 reader.

>You probably don't need to make a copy _now_. Just make sure the EPROM
>images are backed up onto something permanent (paper tape ? :-)). Then
>somebody can burn you a copy in the future if you need one.

  He had ALSO better back it up to something newer than a paper tape, paper
tape readers are getting hard to find. In fact, since 1702s and
programmers for them are getting rare, I think someone should engineer a
1702 replacement out of modern ICs that can be programmed on a modern
equipement. Then match the storage media to that equipment. Given the
rapidly dropping cost of recordable CDs, I think it whould be worthwhile to
record the code on that. They should last nearly forever.

  Joe