Annals of OS and network history

From: Doug Yowza <yowza_at_yowza.com>
Date: Mon Mar 9 21:41:00 1998

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Max Eskin wrote:

> All right, I have another bombing of questions and theories for y'all.
> 1)What was the first network server product for the IBM PC architecture?

I think one of the first cards IBM produced for the PC allowed it to be
used as a smart terminal for their mainframes. Does this count?

> 2)Let's take the GRiD server as an example (I have never seen a GRiD
> machine, BTW). How does it differ from any desktop system?

GRiD used to have a modem based service called GRiD Central. AFAIK, the
GRiD Server was a little box that let you have your own local area GRiD
Central. It was basically a fileserver for GRiD-OS, I think.

> 3)Have there been any machines that made extensive use of a truly
> unusual architecture? What I am looking for is twofold: I am
> interested if anything ever used a neural network-like arrangement,

Sure, quite a few neural nets were implemented in hardware. Hecht-Neilsen
(sp?) comes to mind as somebody still in that biz (I think). Interesting
tid-bit: Carver Mead is famous for many things, including implementing an
artificial cochlea in silicon. I've heard that he couldn't find anybody
very interested in commercializing this invention, so he used the
technology to produce one of those "glide pads" used in notebook computers
today.

> and I am interested in something that had a processor that
> interacted w/the user and a separate one to do the processing
> (ie a real-time system capable of doing all that a normal one can)

It used to be fairly standard practice to have an I/O processor separate
from the main processor, if that's what you mean.

> These are for my personal investigations, but I have a feeling that
> many new ideas have been tried before to some extent.

Unless you're looking to make a fortune licensing patents, why would that
stop you from doing anything?

-- Doug