TRS80 Model 4P gate array help

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Fri Mar 13 06:39:11 1998

On Mar 13, 16:54, Keith Whitehead wrote:
> Ok...here's the problem
> The machine come up with garbage on the screen.It would also seem that the
> video is inverted, I can see the retrace lines etc, so the horizontal
> blanking is not working either by the looks of it.
>
> What I suspect is wrong is that either U42 (the 6845 labeled in my machine
> as a motorola SC80757P) or U102 (the 4.3 video support chip) is faulty (or
> both?).

The 6845 isn't much more than a programmable video timing generator. Since you
have *some* video, it's unlikely to be at fault.

It could be a memory-addressing problem, or a bad connection, or... My first
suggestion would be to *gently* prise each socketed chip from it's socket, and
reseat them all. This helps clean any oxidation off the pins at the point of
contact. Used to be a favourite problem with Apple ]['s, but it's a
widely-applicable technique.

I don't wish to teach my granny to suck eggs, but I'd also suggest you take
care that *all* the pins go back in the socket when you reseat anything; it's
not hard to bend a pin underneath sometimes. For many years I was a
component-level repair technician for an education authority, and I once had
someone bring me a malfunctioning machine which had that problem. When I
pointed it out, the response was "but NEARLY all the pins are in, and it
doesn't work AT ALL".

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science