Getting bent (ON topic if not thread)

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_northernway.net>
Date: Sat Mar 14 00:29:59 1998

;-) Clearing the snow from my glasses, I saw Allison J Parent typed:

>FYI in the old days when people would salvage chips of old unmarked cards
>a popular way to remove them was a propane torch and pliers!

Old days??? I recovered chips using this method a few months ago...

The newer boards are actually nicer for this type of recovery, because the
solder seems to melt at a lower temp. then the 20-year-old boards...

>Obviously
>the board would get toasted but you could get the chips off fairly clean
>and fast. Though once I seriously over did it on the heat. The result
>is a old 7400 that is bent some in the middle...it still worked!

Cool! If one is careful, there is more than just chips that can be
recovered using this method -- at one point in time I could recover usable
chip sockets (even some 40-pinners) that I'm still using for other
projects, and I now have a *boatload* of 8-switch DIP switch packages for
my hardware playing...

I received 50-60 ArcNet cards from my ex-ex-employer, and a lot of the
chips were doing me more good singly, so I desoldered roughly 35 of 'em...
but I saved 15 or so cards (3 of each type, IIRC) and the Active Hub --
just in case I wanna set up my own ArcNet network at home... ;-)

Grab that torch,
"Merch"
--
Roger Merchberger       | If at first you don't succeed,
Owner, MerchWare        | nuclear warhead disarmament should