What's with the raw HTML?

From: Wirehead Prime <wirehead_at_retrocomputing.com>
Date: Sat Mar 14 13:28:25 1998

> > Rant mode off. We now return to our regularly scheduled posts. ;-) BTW, I
> > would ask those who are posting raw HTML code to please stop!
>
> 3. In some cases, *cannot* configure their software to stop doing it
> (i.e. it's being enforced or done by their ISP.)

Er...most ISPs (except the really big guys where all bets are off) don't
make any modification to email as it passes through their mail
servers...IE they just run straight POP and SMTP, which doesn't modify
mail messages. Most ISPs don't have any means of "enforcing" how a users
email client is configured though they do have instructions for users or
suggestions etc. But they don't lock the software to do the HTML stuff
in any way.

(How do I know all this? Because I'm the top SysAdmin and Network
Engineer for a statewide ISP in Iowa.)

More likely, if it is being enforced, it's being enforced by the policies
of this or that large corporation through which people are sending mail
from their desktops. Corporations CAN enforce things through policy.

ISPs, as a general rule, don't enforce how client software is configured
although they may have anti-spam policies and such. ISPs generally
enforce behavior, if that, rather than configuration.

I don't want to get into a big off-topic argument over this. I just get
tired of ISPs getting blamed for everything. On the other hand, if you
are a user having this problem you SHOULD be able to call your ISP and
ask them how to reconfigure your client NOT to do the HTML stuff and, if
they're worth spit, they should be able to help you.

Anthony Clifton - Wirehead