IIGS

From: John Rollins <rexstout_at_ptld.uswest.net>
Date: Sat Mar 14 14:19:23 1998

>I just picked up an Apple IIGS without the keyboard.
>Can I use a MAC keyboard on it?
>Also it was connected to an Apple IIe via a super serial port on the GS and
>an I/O controller on the IIe side. Is that some sort of "Networking"? There
>was no disk drive attached to the IIe.
The IIgs can use most ADB keyboards, I think there is a list at
www.apple2.org. IIRC, all Apple keyboards work, and most normal third-party
keyboards work as well. I think a few of the Adesso keyboards have
problems, but I've used mine(TruForm with the eraser head pointer) with it
and it works fine, the FAQ lists it as usually compatible. As for the
IIe/IIgs connection, it sounds more like it was connected with a null modem
cable. About as close to networking as you can get without a network...
You'll also want to check which ROM version it has, ROM 01 was the first,
usually found in the Woz cases, then ROM 2 and then on to the most recent
version, ROM 03. ROM 01 supposedly has some problems and should be
upgraded, I'm not sure about ROM 2. It will tell you which version when you
turn the computer on.

| http://members.tripod.com/~jrollins/index.html - Computers |
| http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/1681/ - Star Trek |