IIGS

From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme_at_exit109.com>
Date: Sat Mar 14 16:54:19 1998

John Rollins wrote:

> >I just picked up an Apple IIGS without the keyboard.
> >Can I use a MAC keyboard on it?
> >Also it was connected to an Apple IIe via a super serial port on the GS and
> >an I/O controller on the IIe side. Is that some sort of "Networking"? There
> >was no disk drive attached to the IIe.

> You'll also want to check which ROM version it has, ROM 01 was the first,
> usually found in the Woz cases, then ROM 2 and then on to the most recent
> version, ROM 03. ROM 01 supposedly has some problems and should be
> upgraded, I'm not sure about ROM 2. It will tell you which version when you
> turn the computer on.

Actually, there is no ROM 2 gs. There is the ROM 0 (most Woz's were this
originally) which is pretty useless, except in //e mode. Apple offered,
at one time, a free upgrade to ROM 1.

ROM 1 is the first "usable" ROM.

Apple then skipped "ROM 2" and went to ROM 3, the third released
version. This is apparently the preferred ROM to have.

<<<John>>
(who swants to find a //gs period... :-)