Getting bent (ON topic if not thread)

From: Russ Blakeman <rhblake_at_bbtel.com>
Date: Sat Mar 14 17:55:23 1998

jpero_at_cgo.wave.ca wrote:

> > > mobo for a busted SIMM socket.
> Also on cheapie motherboard the contact fingers were too soft and had
> to bend the board other way when installing the simms.
>
> > I've seen this stated on several newsgroups as well, but I can't
> > understand why it's impossible to solder a new SIMM socket onto a
> > motherboard. You can break up the old one, desolder the pins one at a
> > time, fit a new one (I've seen them on sale in the UK), and solder it in.
> > Takes about 10 minutes. I've done it before now.
> That's what I would do if the latch is broken.
>

> > There is a myth doing the rounds that it's impossible to use a soldering
> > iron on PC parts. I don't know where it came from, but it's 100% false.
> Duh! Truly 100% folkore story! :)

There's a desoldering iron that Tandy/Radio Shack sells with a bulb and hollow
tip that work great for desoldering items like the SIMM and SIPP connections.
The tricky part is keeping the heat down when putting in the new one to prvent
the hot metal connections from melting into the wrong place. The person that
wrote about breaking the plastic off and desoldering the pins one at a time
shows they have done this in the past since that's how I've done these and
other multi connection items as well, such as Centronics 36 and 50 pc mount
connectors. The only real trick is desoldering to salvage a component like
that.

 Russ Blakeman
     RB Custom Services / Rt. 1 Box 62E / Harned, KY USA 40144
         Phone: (502) 756-1749 / Data/Fax:(502) 756-6991
         Email: rhblake_at_bbtel.com or rhblake_at_bigfoot.com
           Website: http://members.tripod.com/~RHBLAKE/

       * Parts/Service/Upgrades and more for MOST Computers*