Getting bent (ON topic if not thread)

From: Max Eskin <maxeskin_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 15 09:26:11 1998

>And I just learned that it was safe to tuch motherboard/cards when your
>computers on! (BTW, any one know aout DIMM stuff?)
> Ciao,
>
>Tim D. Hotze
Actually, I find most precautions such as anti-static and so forth to
be baloney. I must have done every illegal thing in the book, and the
only things I haven't gotten away with was plugging chips in
backwards (by accident). When I was upgrading RAM in the machines in
my school's MacLab, the person in charge of it constantly looked over
my shoulder and bleated, "Touch the case again, Max. I want to SEE you
touch the case. OK, now gently, gently, now. Oooh! Yeesh! DON'T touch
those chips!",etc.etc. I didn't damage anything, but he thinks there
is a problem even with touching the actual plastic case of the chip.
I don't discharge static all over chips, mind you, I just think most
precautions are waay overblown. Or have I just been lucky?
Also, have chips gotten more static-sensitive, or less? Should I be
more careful with a 64 MB DIMM or a 16K chip (cost aside)?

>>Same here but some of the kids may never have heard of a propane
torch!
I'm insulted...