Getting bent (ON topic if not thread)

From: Marvin <marvin_at_rain.org>
Date: Sun Mar 15 14:24:35 1998

Max Eskin wrote:

> Actually, I find most precautions such as anti-static and so forth to
> be baloney. I must have done every illegal thing in the book, and the
> only things I haven't gotten away with was plugging chips in
> backwards (by accident). When I was upgrading RAM in the machines in

Not to send out a major flame, but your comments about most precautions
being baloney merely show a lack of familiarity with the problem. As Tony
pointed out (thankfully!), many problems do not show up immeadiately. We
have a number of defense contractors (Delco, Raytheon, SBRC, etc.) here in
Santa Barbara and the steps they go through during circuit board assembly
are rigorous to say the least. In talking to the instructors and others who
are in charge of and actually do the assembly consider static precautions to
be important. If reliability is at all important, don't take the matter of
static protection lightly.