Robots again

From: David Wollmann <dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com>
Date: Mon Mar 16 03:34:59 1998

At 01:31 AM 3/16/98 -0800, you wrote:

>I just finished watching that Discovery program on Robots and was
>wondering if anyone involved in the list has previously/is currently
>working in that field
>
>Also, does anyone know how much of an influence the use of computer
>systems by all of those AI reasearches in the late 70's/early 80's had on
>system designs? I'd be interested to hear any opinions/anecdotes/etc on
>this stuff.
>

>Aaron

I just caught the end of that special. I didn't realize that interest in AI
had expired.

Come to think of it, whatever happened to Prolog? I had always planned to
pick up Borland's Prolog and learn it, but I guess it's too late for that now.

Was there just no demand for AI, or has the market just taken the useful
aspects and abandoned the remainder? Isn't the Neural Net technology being
used in various pattern recognition applications (i.e. OCR) descended from
the AI research of the the 70's and 80's?

--
David Wollmann			|
dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com		| Support for legacy IBM products.