What's with the raw HTML?

From: David Wollmann <dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com>
Date: Mon Mar 16 03:24:04 1998

At 08:48 PM 3/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Tim Shoppa <shoppa_at_alph02.triumf.ca> wrote:
>>I know some folks who work at Microsoft and everything they send me from
>their
>>"work" address is a several-hundred-line MS-Word document that is, of
>>course, MIME-encoded. Typically I can decode it and dump the file to
>>find the single line of real text that they thought they were sending me.
>
>For those few of us who might also check their Word documents in
>binary, you'll find that Word also stores quite a bit of its undo
>buffers in the saved document. Yes, no kidding. I've received
>letters and contracts from people who didn't realize this.
>By studying the binary, you can see their last few revisions. :-)
>People often create a "new" letter by revising an old document.
>
>- John
>Jefferson Computer Museum <http://www.threedee.com/jcm>

Most word processors these days will betray your secrets to the scrutiny of
a binary browser. In addition to undo data, most formats will also retain
chunks of old text left after deletion or overwrite. Windows is the
detective's dream, with all kinds of interesting "ghost" data left behind
in the ever more complex file and doc formats, and of course the swap file.

--
David Wollmann			|
dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com		| Support for legacy IBM products.