Hitachi 2.8" (was Preserving old floppies, fixed disks...)

From: Andrew Davie <adavie_at_mad.scientist.com>
Date: Wed Mar 18 07:08:26 1998

Talking about disks for the Mattel Aquarius...

Tony wrote...
>on one edge. On the 3.5" disk the shutter can be easily opened
>accidentally, and more importantly it can spring apart on the inside
>edge.

[snip/snip]

OK, the floppies I have are NOT as described in Tony's last letter. These
here disks are 77mm square, and do NOT have a shutter protecting the surface
of the disk. I am sure the shutter is not missing; I have 10 disks all
the same. From the circular midsection with a rectangular opening all the
way to the edge, the access area on this disk looks like a large keyhole.
Yet, the style is similar to a standard 3.5" floppy

A side-note; these disks are advertised at having 144K unformatted
capacity. Those interested can see the disks and drive at...

http://www.comcen.com.au/~adavie/weird/aquarius/aqdisk.jpg
http://www.comcen.com.au/~adavie/weird/aquarius/floppy.jpg

I understand the drive is top-opening, like a CD-player, but I've yet to
confirm this. I wonder if anybody knows of any other drives with this
mechanism (floppies only!!)

Cheers