Hitachi 2.8" (was Preserving old floppies, fixed disks...)

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_northernway.net>
Date: Thu Mar 19 01:37:27 1998

;-) Clearing the snow from my glasses, I saw Andrew Davie typed:

>OK, the floppies I have are NOT as described in Tony's last letter. These
>here disks are 77mm square, and do NOT have a shutter protecting the surface
>of the disk. I am sure the shutter is not missing; I have 10 disks all
>the same. From the circular midsection with a rectangular opening all the
>way to the edge, the access area on this disk looks like a large keyhole.
>Yet, the style is similar to a standard 3.5" floppy
>
>A side-note; these disks are advertised at having 144K unformatted
>capacity. Those interested can see the disks and drive at...
>
>http://www.comcen.com.au/~adavie/weird/aquarius/aqdisk.jpg
>http://www.comcen.com.au/~adavie/weird/aquarius/floppy.jpg

Methinks I *may* be able to help... there was a Tandy portable word
processor that used (and I quote):

2.8" disks, Single Sided, (i think) Single Density, *formatted* capacity:
100K.

Dunno what Tandy box used 'em, tho.

Checked out your pix on the web, and I believe these are the same disks...

The local Radio Shack still has one package of quantity 1 or 2 (can't
remember which) for the crazy price of: ~$3.00 USD, never opened.

If you're salivating here now, I can pick these up for you and ship them to
you at cost....

(yea, this sounds personalized... but I actually did intend this to go to
the list... don't ask me why, tho; it's late.)

Hope this helps,
"Merch"
--
Roger Merchberger       | If at first you don't succeed,
Owner, MerchWare        | nuclear warhead disarmament should