DING DING! Back to your corners... WAS: Re: Irreverence to irrelevance

From: Sam Ismail <dastar_at_wco.com>
Date: Wed Mar 18 13:36:59 1998

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Les Berry wrote:

> So far, everyone has had some valid points. If we interpret the FAQ
> literally than perhaps Sam is right. I would tend to believe, however,
> that Bill Whitson's original idea was to have "liberal" restrictions on
> the group so as to perpetuate discussion of "classic" computers. Not all
> posts have adhered to the exact words of the FAQ. Some examples
> might be posts on logic probes or on "orphaned" machines that aren't
> necessarily 10 years old. The idea behind these posts is that it might

Good point. But let me make an example here. And I'll use Tony Duell (my
apologies in advance).

Tony on content alone is by far probably one of the most on-topic
contributors here. He also strays once in a while and posts off-topic.
However, his contribution to the discussion far outweighs his occasional
drifiting into topics wholly unrelated to classic computers, and that is
entirely acceptable.

There are many others like Tony here as well. Their contribution adds
value to the discussion. Then there are others who have posted more
off-topic material than on. What relevant contributions they have made
are outweighed by their off-topic drivel.

Are you in the former category, or the latter?

> I guess the main thing I'm trying to say is that the FAQ should'nt be
> treated as gospel but as *general* guidelines that should (normally) be
> adhered to. This means that instead of launching inquistions against

The problem is that in recent weeks the guidelines have not "normally been
adhered to". The guidelines have normally not been adhered to. The
solution is that people need to quell their impulse to perpetuate and
off-topic thread. Once it goes, to two or more messages, it should be
taken to private e-mail. Its not hard.

> past but I really think that we shouldn't take all this THAT seriously! Sam
> has called me an ass recently too. SO WHAT? I sent an e-mail back to him
> and called him an asshole too. CASE CLOSED. We're ALL assholes to
> some degree but when it comes down to it, if I need help putting an Apple II
> back together (something I know NOTHING about) than Sam is here to help.

Exactly.

> So... on that note. I am in need of some old removable SyQuest disks for
> an SQ555 drive. (the 44mb variety) Anybody know where I might find some?
> The local 'puter store still sells them for $40 a pop!

What size are these? I think I know where to get some for cheap.

Sam Alternate e-mail: dastar_at_siconic.com
Computer Historian, Programmer, Musician, Philosopher, Athlete, Writer, Jackass

                   Coming Soon...Vintage Computer Festival 2.0
                   See http://www.siconic.com/vcf for details!