Robots again

From: lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk <(lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk)>
Date: Wed Mar 18 14:19:11 1998

On 1998-03-16 classiccmp_at_u.washington.edu said to lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk
   :> I HATE object oriented stuff. Hate it, hate it, hate it. At least
   :>in C++, Java, and Visual Basic, which have been my only expoures
   :>to it.

we disagree. there are several flavors (sic) of object-oriented
programming, and whilst some of them are the invention of a sick and
twisted mind (c++), some of them are just damn fine coffee... ;> visual
basic isn't OO, don't be confused. and strongly typed OO systems should
probably not be used for anything small or prototypical.

however, we'd urge you to take a look at some other object oriented
languages. smalltalk, common lisp, self, oberon, etc. *much* nicer. and
then grab a forth and roll your own :>

   :I'be not tried VB, and almost zero Java, but I had to use Ada for
   :three years.

oh, someone else. we had to do that, thanks to bradford university's oh
so wonderful degree course. and to think that the oxonians were moaning
about modula-2...

we've used vb and java reasonably extensively. both are far too typed.
vb doesn't even have inheritance, which renders it pretty much useless.

   :Ada 95 has a lot of OO features (though you needn't
   :use it that way). It is my most unfavourite language. Some of us
   :have described Ada as a read-only language (cf. C as a write-only
   :language).

not even that. it takes up too much space, and the preferred format
places variable names in capitals, rendering them almost entirely
unreadable. and the OO features are only a glorified type-extension
mechanism - oberon's idea, but done by committee in ada95.

ada is a disgusting language, not because it is verbose or hard to
program, but because it introduces another language - and a vast one at
that - without giving anything *new*; it doesn't give value for money.
size without content.
--
Communa (together) we remember...             we'll see you falling
you know soft spoken changes nothing             to sing within her...