Robots again

From: lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk <(lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk)>
Date: Wed Mar 18 14:19:29 1998

On 1998-03-16 classiccmp_at_u.washington.edu said to lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk
   :Very interesting. Please elaborate. My reasons for disliking OOP
   :stems from the fact that a Windows app in C++ is much harder to
   :understand than one in plain non-oop code. Who started oop anyway?

simula was the first oo language, and it was pretty good (except that
nobody using it realised what they had :> ). the xerox parc team who
developed smalltalk did the real ground-breaking work on object
orientation, and anything they wrote (alan kay, adele goldberg are two
names to look out for) is worth reading.

microsoft have never understood object orientation. and because of this,
they have killed it (seen COM? ugh). it's a very powerful technique, and
you don't necessarily need an oo language to use it. windows was written
in c, designed to be called from c, and not object-oriented in the
least. no wonder things are harder to use from c++. and mfc only makes
things worse. take a look at nextstep sometime, if you can, to see a
better approach.
--
Communa (together) we remember...             we'll see you falling
you know soft spoken changes nothing             to sing within her...