Bulk erased SyQuest carts WAS: Re: DING DING!

From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu Mar 19 00:04:13 1998

>impressed. Perhaps their new products are better. Do you know of any

The SyJet is very nice, but runs VERY Hot.

>way to re-format a SQ disk that has been bulk-erased? I had this
>bright idea several years ago that maybe just completely clearing the
>disks by bulk-erasing would be a good thing. I'm thinking now that I
>obliterated some factory tracks that the drive can't reproduce.
>Ideas?

Have you tried a low-level format of them? Do you have access to an Amiga?
My recommendation would be to format them out on the Amiga, then format
them on the machine that you want to use them on. I've heard of people
trashing SCSI drives doing wierd stuff to thier format, and then being able
to use them after formating them on an Amiga.

Don't know the specifics, but I do know that the Amiga does a very intense
format, and it takes a long time to fully set up a decent sized disk to be
used on the Amiga because of this.

I've got to agree with the original comment on the price of the disks.
I've bought a used 44Mb drive with 3 carts, and a 88Mb drive with 2 carts.
Both times I payed what one new 44Mb cart would cost. Still based on the
availability these things must be being used by someone for something. My
guess would be the Publishing industry still uses them quite a bit since
it's usually in Mac catalogs and stores I see the carts for sale. Of
course a new TK-50 costs about the same (~95Mb Tape).

                                Zane

| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh_at_ix.netcom.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh_at_holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
| For Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
| see http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/ |
| For the collecting of Classic Computers with info on them. |
| see http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/museum.html |