Now: Once again, whattheheckisa computer? (Was: Re: Delay lines)

From: Doug Yowza <yowza_at_yowza.com>
Date: Sat Mar 21 02:07:39 1998

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Roger Merchberger wrote:

> The absolute definition of a computer as I remember
> it goes thusly:
>
> "An instrument which can perform arithmatic and logical functions without
> the aid of a human."

That's too ambiguous to me. All computers require the aid of a human at
some point. What's the diff if I pay Bill Gates to program mine or if I
work the slides on my slide rule?

I think it comes down to the fall-back definition:

"You know a computer when you see one."

As for me, whenever I see little chicklet keys on a calculator, that's
enough for me to say it's not a computer :-)

-- Doug