Now: Once again, whattheheckisa computer? (Was: Re: Delay lines)

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_northernway.net>
Date: Sat Mar 21 02:28:24 1998

;-) Clearing the snow from my glasses, I saw Doug Yowza typed:
>On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Roger Merchberger wrote:
>
>> The absolute definition of a computer as I remember
>> it goes thusly:
>>
>> "An instrument which can perform arithmatic and logical functions without
>> the aid of a human."
>
>That's too ambiguous to me. All computers require the aid of a human at
>some point. What's the diff if I pay Bill Gates to program mine or if I
>work the slides on my slide rule?

The difference is: there's no enter key on a slide rule.

You can enter a program into a computer, and once it begins executing it
may not require human interference until it has completed. If said program
includes both arithmetic and logical functions between the pressing of the
enter key and the output, it would fit the definition of a computer.

>As for me, whenever I see little chicklet keys on a calculator, that's
>enough for me to say it's not a computer :-)

Ah, then you have an anti-Tandy bent, he? For the chicklet keys on my
CoCo1's preclude it from your definition??? ;-) (And, to continue along
this nasty bend in the road, the membrane-only keyboards of the Timex
Sinclair 1000 and Tandy's MC-10 make them akin to a microwave oven? ;-)

I guess I see a lot more computers than you do!

Just my $0.02USD ($0.026CDN),
"Merch"
--
Roger Merchberger       | If at first you don't succeed,
Owner, MerchWare        | nuclear warhead disarmament should