oddball find PS/2-50

From: Russ Blakeman <rhblake_at_bbtel.com>
Date: Sat Mar 21 11:08:58 1998

Allison J Parent wrote:

> <Depends. My 50Z has an ESDI drive(and IIRC they shipped with that, too),
> <but any PS/2 drive with that connetor should work. What it is is that IB
> <added an HD controller to the HD's main board, so that connector is an MC
> <interface.
>
> No the drive only has one board. That plugs into the board in the mca
> bus. looks like the drive has minimal electronics on it and the board in
> the mca is the edsi or mfm controller.

Every machine has certain "FRU" (field replacement units) that it can accept
besides certain aftermarket items. Some interchange, some don't. IBM has an
online maintenance manual, and it's listed in the links page at
http://members.tripod.com/~ps2page/ (The PS/2 Page). The 50 and 50Z are
totally different machines, not to be confused with each other. I have a model
80 for a server here with clone PC's running on 10baseT cards here under Win95
and Novell Netware (on one of the machines). I used to have a 386 running Win
For WorkGroups in the network too.

> <no FD/HD/RAM. I'm thinking of using one as a terminal or something, putti
> <in an ethernet card with a boot ROM or something wierd like that. The oth
>
> One has a ni card, single BNC so I suspect eithernet.

There are a few types of network cards. One looks like a CGA card having a 9
pin sub-d but the telltale "16/4" on a green dot gives away the token ring
function. The Ethernet BNC cards are not as common but available and the
10base2 cards with the wide telephone looking connector types are even scarcer
but available. I'd have to look but I probably have some 30, 60 or 80mb drives
for the machine you have. Sound cards are a real bugger to find reasonably.
 Russ Blakeman
     RB Custom Services / Rt. 1 Box 62E / Harned, KY USA 40144
         Phone: (502) 756-1749 / Data/Fax:(502) 756-6991
         Email: rhblake_at_bbtel.com or rhblake_at_bigfoot.com
           Website: http://members.tripod.com/~RHBLAKE/

       * Parts/Service/Upgrades and more for MOST Computers*