Heinz Nixdorf

From: James Redin <jredin_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Mar 21 12:09:08 1998

Hello Frank,

> maybe the definitions of computer/calculator are not exact; the Mk8 is
> stated as "first electronic desktop calculator" in
> "Bueromaschinen-Kompass", an annual handbook giving an overview on the
> market.
> I guess, what quilifies the Anita is the fact that it used Nixie-tubes
for
> displaying the results. A book, written 1960, titled "Electronic
> number-calculators" describes the display of results as the largest
> problem, the author had no idea of a practical solution (but describes
> every other technology used these days: core-Memory, delay-lines, tubes,
> even diodes and transistors).
> Regards,
> Frank Boehm

Yesterday I subscribed to a new list (Discussion re-collecting of classic
computers) hoping to get more info on the Nixdorf machines. The first
messages that came across were an ongoing discussion on the boundaries
between calculators and computers. It was very interesting for me. One of
the entries stated:

"Granted, these points are primarily moot, for the definition of a computer
as to be used on this list would need to be defined by Mr. Bill Whitson,
the (still) owner of this list.

>* must be programmable
>* must be general purpose
>* must have alphanumeric input capabilities
>* must have alphanumeric display capabilities."

Of course many current calculators would be considered computers under
these terms, however, we need to consider the context or frame of reference
for this definition. The list is oriented to "Classic computers" and
therefore the boundaries are relevant to the early computer/calculator
technology.

On the other hand, the fact that the ANITA would qualify for the first
electronic calculator because it was the first one with Nixie-tubes display
is not very clear either. Remember that the first pocket calculator, the
"Cal-Tech" from TI and its off-spring the Canon "Pocketronic" used a
thermal printer to display the results.

I would say that the terms above stated leads to a clear cut between
Computers/Calculators.

Now the real question should be:

Does anybody know if the ES 12 and ES 24 electronic calculators developed
by Nixdorf in 1953, were programmable and/or had alphanumeric input/display
capabilities?

Regards,

James Redin
http://www.dotpoint.com/xnumber