Mystery Board

From: James Willing <jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com>
Date: Sun Mar 22 10:22:30 1998

At 05:25 AM 3/22/98 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Tim Shoppa wrote:

><snip>
>
>> It sounds like a board from a telephone switch. (Especially the "125B"
>> label and the Western Electric chips.). I'd guess from 1985, based on
>> what I assume are the date codes.
>
>Interesting. I wonder how it ended up in a box of ISA cards (and one
>S-100 bussboard)? :)
>
>Please forgive my ignorance (and the potential off-topic repurcussions),
>but could this board's function be what it appears to be? (i.e. RAM) And
>if so, what use is that in a telephone switch? And could the switch be
>used to do any computing? ;)

Well... when you consider that for a number of years now that AT&T phone
switches have been UNIX based systems... The connections are not that far
fetched.

Even most of the small office switches are microprocessor controlled (an
AT&T 'Merlin' switch system that I am currently installing is 68000 based
if I recall correctly).

-jim

---
jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com