Kaypro 2 Blues

From: Lawrence Walker <lwalker_at_mail.interlog.com>
Date: Sat Mar 21 05:48:27 1998

On 21 Mar 98 at 16:18, Don Maslin wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Doug Spence wrote:
>

> > I finally opened up my Kaypros today to see if I could get the '2'
> > working. The II and the 2 seem to be almost identical inside, with two
> > notable differences: One of the ROMs has a different number on it, and
> > my Kaypro II has some wires soldered between pins on one of its chips.

 I've finally figured out I have some sort of symbiotic relationship with
the Kaypro 2 I've had in my collectionfor several years. The routine goes like
this:
 Periodically Ill pull out the "2", plug it in, admire the case and how the kb
fits, fire it up , watch as it acknowledges the B drive then the A. and finally
displays the Kaypro logo on the neat little screen. Then I run through the
disks I got with it starting with the "bootable Wordstar". The disk spins
anndd spins and the logo sits primly staring back at me. Finally I remove the
10 screws holding the cover on and check the connections and tap the chips
to make sure they're seated. Shake my head , "got to be a bad drive or
controler , or maybe it needs a system disk from TCJ" Then I put it back
together , put it back onthe shelf . "Well I'll get to it later" and work
arduously getting my latest acquisition up and working. 3 months later I go
thru the same routine. 8 ^ }
 It's symbiotic , man. Wierd people some collectors.

ciao larry
lwalkerN0spaM_at_interlog.com