GPIB + disk drives

From: Doug Yowza <yowza_at_yowza.com>
Date: Sun Mar 22 18:54:19 1998

I could use a quick tutorial on GPIB as it applies to computer device
interfacing.

I want to read an external hard disk that belongs to a GRiD w/a GPIB
interface. I recently picked up at National Instruments GPIB-PC-II card,
found the drivers on their web site, and stuck the thing in my Toshiba
T5200 (a nice little box that should hit classic status some time soon).

The card and low-level drivers seem to work great, but I can't find any
higher-level drivers that know how to talk to this drive (or any drive,
for that matter). Do drives that talk GPIB all talk the same way? If so,
any idea where I might be able to find an MS-DOS driver that sits on top
of the GPIB driver I've installed?

Should I give up on this approach and simply pull the drive out of the box
and see if I can talk to it with an MFM controller? It's a 10MB 5.25"
drive from around 1982, so I'm assuming it's a Seagate.

-- Doug