Next Computers

From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon Mar 23 00:39:49 1998

>On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Marvin wrote:
>
>> I just heard about a few Next computers for sale. The person I talked to
>> said they were asking $350 and that included the box, monitor, keyboard, and
>> mouse. Is this a realistic price, low, or high? I think he said there were
>> 5 available minus what he might want. Anyone interested? Condition is
>> supposed to be very good and when they were set up, he said something about
>> they couldn't get the cursor to move.
>
>Next made several models. $350 is way high for the slabs, a bit high for
>the mono cubes, and a good deal for the color cubes. The original cube is
>probably the interesting one from a collector's standpoint, and they seem
>to go for under $300. I've resisted the temptation to get one so far.
>The software was more innovative than the hardware, and I believe you can
>get NextStep (and GnuStep) for intel boxen.

As stated it depends on the model, also depends on RAM and HD. If you get
any make sure you get a copy of the OS, preferably on CD. I believe they
will run all versions of the OS through OPENSTEP 4.2 which came out last
summer. Anything newer will basically look like a Mac, the next version
should be publically available in a couple months from what I've heard, and
rumor has it that it might even be affordable. Last I heard a basic
OPENSTEP 4.2 cost about $1500.00, and the Developer setup $5000.00! So if
you just want to play a little an old NeXT system with NeXTstep 3.3 or so
is a great way to do it.

It's a neat OS, and OPENSTEP 4.2 runs nicely on a Pentium 133 (NeXT's are
68k based), but if you're used to UNIX it will probably seem a little
confusing when you try to configure networking.

                        Zane

| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh_at_ix.netcom.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh_at_holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
| For Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
| see http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/ |
| For the collecting of Classic Computers with info on them. |
| see http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/museum.html |