Tuning 8" floppies

From: David Wollmann <dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com>
Date: Mon Mar 23 10:13:34 1998

I have a MicroTech ReformaTTer unit with two 8" NEC floppies attached to a
PC with the MicroTech FDC. Both drives seemed to be in need of a tune-up
(head alignment, in particular) when I installed the unit, and now (this is
four yrs. later) I can only read diskettes with one drive, the other just
gives me "sector not found" errors.

Is it practical for me (me = board swapper) to try to align the heads on
these drives manually by trial and error? Is there still a source for the
disk required to do it the right way? I have access to a scope if I need one.

--
David Wollmann
dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com