CMOS Battery for PC/AT

From: jpero_at_cgo.wave.ca <(jpero_at_cgo.wave.ca)>
Date: Mon Mar 23 07:21:59 1998

Nice machine. :) All you need is either:
4.5V or 6V external battery and that is either alki or lithium
battery. The actual operating cmos stand by voltage is appox 3v cut
down by series of diodes network.

How big the motherboard? There's 2 types, one is large size and use
36 chips using stacked 128k x 1bit chips, the smaller one (better
one) has 18 chips of 256k x 1bit memory, And bios is clock-protected
if anyone tries to overclock that boards, no boot and can be
unprotected with manual editing to the bios contents and burn pair of
new bios chips.

Jason D.

> I picked up an original PC/AT that has a dead lithium battery for the
> CMOS bios parameter storage. The battery says it's 6.8 volts. It's the
> kind that is a 1/2x1x2 inch pack with a six-inch lead.
>
> I've tried several places to find a replacement, but either a store
> doesn't have it, or, if they have one, the voltage is not exactly 6.8
> volts.
>
> So, what's the acceptable voltage range, especially on the low end? And
> any good sources?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

email: jpero_at_cgo.wave.ca