HP 82143A Peripheral Printer

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
Date: Mon Mar 23 16:30:42 1998

At 05:18 AM 3/22/98 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Doug Yowza wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Doug Spence wrote:
>>
>> > Will the 82143A (the one I have) plug into an HP-75? Will it work with
>> > anything else? What kind of battery does it take? Power connector?
>> > Pinout of the 12-pin connector?
>>
>> I've got one someplace that I haven't used for years. I used it either
>> with the HP-75D I used to have, or the HP-41C I still have. The connector
>> is HP-IL, I think. You should be able to use it with just about any HP
>> that can talk HP-IL, and you can even find HP-IB (GPIB) to HP-IL
>> converters that might let you talk to it from machines with GPIB
>> interfaces.
>
>Thanks for the info! I've not yet had the pleasure of meeting an HP
>machine in real life, but when I do I'll look for the appropriate
>connector. :)

  Nope, it's not HP-IL, the only connector that will fit the plug is in the
top of a HP-41. The HP-IL has two connectors, each has two pins and is
trapazodial shaped. One connector is male and the other female. There
are^H^H^H were jumpers cables made to fit them. You have to connect the
HP-IL stuff in a complete loop back to the controller, that's why EVERY
HP-IL device has two connectors.

>BTW, would you happen to know if the batteries for this beastie are still
>available? It looks like it takes a big boxy battery (about 3.5"x2"x1"?)
>with both contacts on one face.

  Nope, they're out of production but I sell rebuilt ones. There are also
other places that sell rebuilt ones.

>And the power connector on the back is fairly unusual, too.

  Yes, but the 82059 charger is fairly common.

>There's a piece of metal on the left hand side, at the back, that swivels
>out of the body of the printer. It that for attaching the printer to the
>machine that's using it?

  No, it's for a security cable to lock the printer down. There was no way
to lock the 41 down. I know, I had two of them stolen. :-(

>What's the three-position "mode" switch for? It has labels "MAN",
>"TRACE", and "NORM".

   In the MAN(ual) position the printer only printed when it recieved a
print command. In the TRACE psition, it printed every program line and the
values in the stack. In the NORM(al) position, it printed when it received
a print command and it also printed when it received a display command.
Several other commands would also make it print in the normal position.

  One of the intereesting features of the printer was that when you were
writing programs on the 41 and the printer was connected and you wanted to
add a comand to advance the paper or to print the X-register, you could
just press that key on the printer and the command would be inserted into
the program! That shows that this printer was not just a dumb output
device but actually part of the 41 system.

  Joe