CMOS Battery for PC/AT

From: David Wollmann <dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com>
Date: Mon Mar 23 20:23:17 1998

At 10:08 PM 3/23/98 +0000, you wrote:

>> I picked up an original PC/AT that has a dead lithium battery for the
>> CMOS bios parameter storage. The battery says it's 6.8 volts. It's the
>> kind that is a 1/2x1x2 inch pack with a six-inch lead.
>>
>> I've tried several places to find a replacement, but either a store
>> doesn't have it, or, if they have one, the voltage is not exactly 6.8
>> volts.
>>
>> So, what's the acceptable voltage range, especially on the low end? And
>> any good sources?
>
>Well, the voltage is not that critical.
>
>I also have a PC/AT (original type 2 system board), and the battery in
>that was dead when I got it. It claimed to be a 6V battery. I managed to
>find a place to buy a replacement, but it was \pounds 14.00 or something
>equally crazy, so I made a replacement :
[snip diagram]
>The battery was 4 AA alkaline cells in a standard holder. The diode/resistor
>were added since 4 fresh cells gave about 6.6V, and I was worried about
>killing my RTC chip. In theory it'll cause the battery to run down a
>little faster, but mine's lasted about 4 years so far. I cut the cable
>off the old battery and used that to connect my kludge to the system board.
>
>And next time it fails, 4 AA cells are a lot cheaper and easier to find
>than the official battery.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Dave
>>

>-tony

FWIW, we've seen more than our share of 5170s in our time, and several with
CMOS supplies that consisted of a battery pack with 4 AAs. I've never
checked to see if this was an original P/N or FRU, but they all seemed to
work fine. IIRC, we've seen healthy ATs with 7.0V batteries, so the plain
old AA four-pack should probably work fine. If I can dig out my AT Tech Ref
I'll look up the spec and post it.

--
David Wollmann			|
dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com		| Support for legacy IBM products.