System/34 again

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Mon Mar 23 20:34:35 1998

<a)Step-up transformer - how much would 110-220 1700 watts min. cost?

About 25-50 pounds in weight never mind cost.

<b)Using a bunch of PC power supplies to power the DC components.
<My first problem is how I trick a PC/AT power supply to stay on when
<it's not hooked up to anything. Do I need to short something?

Don't do it. First, switching powersupplies get real upset if the are not
loaded to some minimum point, they gernerally don't like running in
parallel and the other is power sequencing.

<Next is the problem of pinouts on the 34. There is ground and +5v
<labelled clearly. THere is also a circuit board with lots of screw
<terminals. Could someone tell me the voltages on those (it's a board
<right below the CE panel and a bit on the right)?

Get and learn to use volmeters. There may be unsafe voltages or currents
at low voltages that can be dangerous. Also miswiring could toast the
machine fully and very completely.

USE EXTREME CARE, I'm not close enough to adminster CPR. Maybe I should
get with you one day and look at this beast.

Allison