Archiving docs

From: Doug Coward <dcoward_at_pressstart.com>
Date: Tue Mar 31 01:03:17 1998

 I would like hear from anyone that has done any archiving of their
classic computer documents and manuals.

I'm currently using a UMAX 300P that claims a maximum 24 bit color
resolution of 300x600 dpi. I'm scanning into Photoshop4 and saving
in JPEG format. I'm trying to save as much information as I can, so
pages that have any color besides black and white, I'm scanning
at 299 (that's the max for color) dpi in RGB and and everything else in
299 dpi grayscale. I'm averaging, for 8.5 x 11 pages, about 5.3 Mb
for color and 2.1 Mb for grayscale. Just last weekend I burned
my first CD of docs consisting of 26 color pages and 170 B/W
pages for a total of 454 Mb.( I didn't fill the CD bcause I was anxious
to try printing the files at work.)
  I printed two of the highest detailed B/W pages (schematics) today
at 400 dpi. The results were disappointing. All of the fine details were
lost. I assume I need to use a higher resolution for printing. I also have
quite a bit of background clutter on the printed page. I'm having no
problems seeing the smallest details when I magnify the pages in
Photoshop.

Doug Coward dcoward_at_pressstart.com
Senior Software Engineer
Press Start Inc.