Archiving docs

From: Aaron Christopher Finney <aaron_at_wfi-inc.com>
Date: Tue Mar 31 03:29:53 1998

I use a Fujitsu 600c to scan everything, using software that I wrote just
for archiving old manuals. I used the ImageBasic toolkit from Diamond Head
Software (purchased by my company for other purposes ;) ) that came
packaged complete with all kinds of neat utilities like de-speckle,
skew-fix, etc. It's nice to use because I set a few pre-set scanning modes
that set up the scanner for what I'm doing; noisy b/w, noisy colour,
text-only, detailed-graphics, etc.

Some suggestions:

1) Try scanning text or any B/W pages in B/W mode. Since the bits can only
be white/black, it can automatically get rid of a lot of background noise.

2) I think the loss of detail on the schematics may be due to the
resolution of your scanner, as well as noise showing up because of the
greyscale setting. Try them B/W and just adjust the contrast/brightness
until you lose the noise. The nice thing about Photoshop is being able to
edit sections of the page at a time, so you could clean up each little
section as you go.

3) Depending on what kind of printer you have, you might try playing with
the half-tone/dithering settings as well.

Most of my images of 8.5x11 are 50k-250k for B/W, 500k-1.5M for 16-shade,
and anywhere from 5-15 megs for colour (all at 600dpi). I usually print
them on an HP Laserjet 4si at 600dpi or an Apple LW16-600 with photo-grade
enabled.

Aaron