Gooey rubber bits

From: Olminkhof <jolminkh_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Mon Mar 1 03:13:22 1999

Marvin wrote with respect to a HP85:

>print each iteration of the program. The tape drive roller is gooey
>although it is still round at this point :).

I've often see rubber items on old printers and stuff go "gooey" like this.
Does anyone understand why this happens and whether it is reversible?
Sometimes in 2 different examples of the same machine, one has the problem
and the other hasn't.

My apologies if this has been discussed before. I missed it.

Hans Olminkhof