Nicolet rescue

From: Jay West <jlwest_at_tseinc.com>
Date: Mon Mar 1 21:24:38 1999

Had to rescue the Nicolet computer. Still not sure if I'm going to keep
it...but at least it won't go to the scrap heap.

I've never seen core quite like this. Each core plane is 4 cards, about 4"
by 4", with 1K on each card (4k per core module) - plus the standard
xydriver and sense/inhibit. The four cards of the core assembly are joined
by small pins/solder brides between the cards. Really large doughnuts :-)
This machine is actually very clean inside, despite it's 1974 vintage.

The back panel is unique, with most peripheral devices connecting via coax.
There appears to be a home-brew mod to switch select tty (current loop) or
RS232 and if RS232 either 300 or 2400 baud.

Despite the grainy photo - the 8" floppy unit really has only one drive.

Also got the decitek paper tape unit.

If anyone is curious - pics attached.