Interesting to note about Altairs...

From: Stephen Dauphin <ai705_at_osfn.org>
Date: Mon Mar 8 13:17:14 1999

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Chuck McManis wrote:

> That sort of re-defines rare in a different way, and after the orgasmic
> frenzy has passed of finding things that used to be incredibly hard to find
> in your local neighborhood, expectations will get reset and the market will
> rationalize and the so called "bottom" will drop out of Altair prices.

It is also the economy and it is more than a trivial contributor. How
many solid years of growth since 1983 or so? You end up with a lot of
money chasing goods like these.

Indeed, perhaps if the y2K bug causes a global recession/depression, then
maybe the old computers will have the last "laugh".

I expect there will be a correction, regardless of cause, in old computer
prices. The Altairs and similar probably have a floor under them of
several hundred dollars, but there will be many items that will see the
dumpster once again.

I just picked up a SABA OCR "mouse" for $10 plus shipping. A sort of
cross between a mouse and a tablet hockey puck with a window and cross
hairs to pull a line of text. Mouse, ISA card, manual and all software.

Unique and unloved items will always be available to be nabbed.

                                           -- Stephen Dauphin