The new Amigas

From: Derek Peschel <dpeschel_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon Mar 8 16:42:03 1999

> Derek Peschel <dpeschel_at_u.washington.edu> wrote about Amigas:
> > The set-top box is novel. Correct me if I'm wrong; that hasn't been tried
> > before (unless you count the CD32), right?
>
> Isn't that like saying that DVD-ROM is a novel way to store data on a
> consumer electronics media (unless you count CD-ROM)?

You're putting an entirely different slant on what I said. I was under the
impression that the CD32 was a big failure. (Maybe I was thinking of the
CDTV.) Besides, what you said is literally true -- if you except CD-ROM,
then DVD-ROM IS novel. :)

Maybe my lack of real Amiga experience has skewed my perspective. Maybe I
should not post so late at night. :)

> Why wouldn't you count CD32? If they do a new set-top, and it fails, and
> then they do a third, will you say that the third one is novel (unless you
> count the first two)?

No, I probably wouldn't. I was thinking that there was only one previous
experiment and that it flopped. Apparently that's not true.

-- Derek