Scanning old manuals

From: Brad Ackerman <bsa3_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Tue Mar 9 14:38:07 1999

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 09:30:13AM -0800, John Lawson wrote:

> So far... the best results I have obtained (in experiments) has
> been to *photograph* the pages, then scan the photos... I am using
> 35mm film, but I would imagine that the newer hi-res digital cameras
> would work as well. I will post some of these scanned docs on my
> website when I get a Round Tuit.

G3 pixels/pg: (200dpi)^2 x 8.5 in x 11 in = 3,740,000 pixels

Last I checked, that was a USD 3,000 camera. Prices may have gone
down, however. Note that there's no way anything less than the $10K
Hasselblad backs that magazines use for studio work can equal a 600dpi
scan.

Which 35mm film are you using? There are some really nifty Kodak
technical films -- Tekpan something or other (4-digit number?) is an
ASA 25 black & white film, although you'd need a few hundred dollars
of lighting equipment to use it for this application. OTOH, T-Max 125
probably delivers more than enough quality for the job. ^_^

--
Brad Ackerman N1MNB      "...faced with the men and women who bring home
bsa3_at_cornell.edu          the pork, voters almost always re-elect them."